Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Deep in Rico Droppin' 5's (High)




For the second straight trip I have been the recipient of a high five. No I am not on the boardwalk at Nags Head Carolina. I am on a street in Brooklyn, NY that runs straight south from the Lorimar Subway stop. Don't know the area? Who the hell does? I do. Think ...um....hmmm....Puerto Rico meets....ummm....well...Puerto Rico. Mr. Fantastic, aka won't write on the site cause he is lazier than a homeless x-dishwasher from a Texas Border Town, just moved to this interesting neighborhood. The first time I went to this place, how do i describe it.. - the feeling was similiar to the one I felt at my first tapdance recital in 1st grade......nevermind. Back to PR on PR (no not bobsled's kind of PR i'm talkin P.R.,,,reference comments on recent post). Holy shit this story is 300 digressions. Lets recap then move forward Brooklyn>high 5's>Puerto Rico> now. So this neighborhood is amazing.

There is like a party on every block. I counted no less than 4 fire hydrants that were unscrewed. Every bodega had latino music blaring out of it and 5 old ass Puerto Rican gentleman (term used loosly, but they are very cordial) drinking from brown bags. 3 cars go by playing the loudest music I have ever heard. I am a liar but this is dead honest. Loudest shit ever, I was blown away. Low rider bikes everywhere and 14 year olds arguing to each other about which one could rob me the quickest. My bet, they would die when I summoned the Auburgine Delta Force. Picture this mayhem everywhere in the setting of a old row of broken down warehouses and walkup buildings. Then picture me. You would normally be scared for my well being wouldn't you? No faith in handsome????

I thank god for the ipod. If you play the right soundtrack to the movie, any movie can kick ass. My first high 5 in the neighborhood was at 5:49am. Wasted walking through an empty version of this neighborhood I wondered why I was not nervous. Looked down. Auburgene. I was crushing some good music, sadly can't remember, but I was struttin and hittin a hard groove to the sunrise. And I look up and see this thuggish looking P.R. walking towards me. I could tell as I tried to focus on him through my Jim Beam glazed eyeballs, that he too was looking through his tequilla ojos in a futile attempt to focus. He too was strutting. I shook a fist and a Sid Viscious smirk to my drunken amigo, and guess what the fuck happened. He nodded in mutual anhialated respect, flashed a high five, and I soon felt the abrupt meeting of my 5 filangees to his (reference me washing my hands 5 minutes later) . High Mutha 5! It was a true cultural moment. My next high 5 happened a week later, about 15 minutes ago.

I was gettin out of a Saturday shift and readly to meet Eddie, head to Brooklyn and kick it with Mr. Fantastic. Playing some musica in the office while changing, the mood was set. Out the door I came, met eddie with no waiting, hit the 6 train with no delay, then the L, this shit was cruising . I was told by this mystical loser at my work today that I was set for a good few days because my Venus and Unanus were in line. I swear to god, check "Cancer" in the NY Post horiscopes if you don't believe me *Don't Drop That Shit....Don't Drop That Shit....Pray to God he Don't Drop that shit (thank you D.C.)*. The
soundtrack I was listening to was shuffling like Danny Elfman and DJ Kittens were spinning the set. I walk out into the neighborhood which was as just described at the beginning. Strutting. I come on my first bodega party and see this 60+ year old lady bend down behind a car. As I pass the car I look down to see what the hell she was doin'. She was anhialating some brown liquor from a brown paper bag. Nice! I look up and a P.R. elder is in his folding charir looking at me. Oh shit I was caught staring. Cardinal Sin. I smiled meekly, trying to the keep my Mr. cool Handsome Guy Persona that i was previously playing. Holy shit! To My amazement, he smiles and puts up a high dirty ole 5. I slapped his hand so hard that the hat he was wearing with one white star now had 50. America! Friendship! So here I sit several minutes later telling Mr. Fantastic the story. He doesn't believe me. Fuck him anyways, this is true. True life my friends. In a weeks time I have procurred 2 high 5's in the Puerto Rico of Puerto Rican Neighborhoods. Can you do this. I doubt it kids. Well....The challenge is out there...

The music to this blathering tale was beautiful and perfect for the mood. One of those great moments of urban ipod traveling. Play these songs while reading the story Wolf Parade (some song??) > Claptin, Cocaine > Primus, Jerry Was a Race Car Driver > Panic, All Time Low and maybe you will get yourself a high 5! It worked for me......Happy weekend Americans, and new found Puerto Rican Friends.

---Stay tuned next week as I will have a special field report on Annapolis, MD and the crazy bastards that inhabit this quaint partying...errrr waterfront town. We will be visiting the Urban Iccarus, Jen-nay, and The Real Beal - Adam Bielsky who all promise to make for good postings!

HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY L-RON!!!!

1 comment:

Captain Handsome said...

I would take spam over your stupid ass comments. Readers, let this be known. Senor Sexy is evil! Spam too is evil! Don't buy shit from this spammer or you will be banned from the site. Do you here me people. Banned.