Monday, June 05, 2006

halfway home and my pager still blowin up

Hello kids. Commandos don’t usually get all weepy and sentimental, but Bobsled Commandos do – quite frequently. It comes from not being able to keep our mood swings in check. One minute I’m up, the next I’m even higher and then finally I come plunging back to Earth into a deep, dark pool of self-loathing.

So after having one hell of an amazing weekend in the ‘hattan, and after crushing a bottle of house wine last night, you can imagine the Urban-Iccarus-like fall I experienced as Monday began to loom.

Let me first back that ass up. One of my best friends ever, and now engaged to be married, visited this weekend and, needless to say, stories were told, beers were drunk, other things happened and all was well and good in the world, even when he and his fiancée woke me up after four hours of sleep to play impromptu tour guide. What made the weekend even more, dare I say, ‘magical’ was that my bestest buddy from back in the day and his hot fiancée were able to meet up with and party with my new bestest buds in the world (who’s world is this?) and all was even more weller and righted in the world, despite the fact that the g*ddamned Pistons couldn’t hit the broadside of a barn.

I digress. We threw it down all weekend. Becoming good friends with someone is not something that just happens over night. You cannot simply snap your fingers and say, “Let us be friends!” But it is something that can easily be picked up again despite not seeing one another for a year or more. This weekend I was reminded of just how lucky I am to have friends like I do. And so, as a tribute to those friends, I present the following:

Episode 11.16 (#6364): "Rockumentary" 11/30/91 (10:30 am)
(11.16)Casey Kasem -as himself
(11.16)Mindy Wallace -Stacie Foster
(11.16)Brian Fate -Nick Brooks

(11.16)"the High Geek" -unbilled

Casey Kasem narrates the rise and fall and rise again of the gang's band (sans Jessie), Zack Attack. [Jessie is absent from this episode. In this version of Zack Attack, Kelly is the lead singer and Jessie is not in the band.]

Couple of things here:
1. This is probably one of the best episodes of Saved By t
he Bell ever.
2. It features some of the worst, fake-instrument playing ever.

3. Apparently one of the guest stars is ‘the high geek’ yet no actor name is listed. Did someone try to make a name for themselves as the actor known as ‘the high geek’? Plus, WTF, aside from the episode where Jesse gets hooked on pills, when did SbtB ever discuss the topic of drugs? I need to go back and study this episode more closely apparently.
4. Saved Fans might also note that this was the second and last time Casey Kasem made a cameo. The other was episode, Episode 9.2 (#6318): "Dancing to the Max", features a dance contest hosted at the Max with Casey Kasem as the host. Kelly and Slater are partners and so are Zack and Jessie. Lisa has a partner until he backs out when she sprains her ankle, but Screech comes to her rescue. F*ck yeah Screech.

5. Rockumentary featuring Zack Attack aired in 1991. I officially feel very old.
6. You can buy the Saved by the Bell album here

7. Here are the lyrics, in case you don’t already know:
We met some time ago,
When we were so young.
We've been through thick and thin,
We've lost, we've tied, we've won.


Friends forever,
With you everywhere.

Friends forever,
Always will be friends.

If you're down,
I'll pick you up,
I'll never let you fall.
If you ever need someone,
I'm waiting for your call.


We'll be friends forever,
We'll be friends,

Talkin' 'bout friends..
Always will be there,
Will be there. Will be there.

Through it all, hangin' tough,
We'll stay side by side.

We'll be friends forever,
Til' the end of time.

Friends forever,
We'll be friends,

Talkin' 'bout friends.
Always will be there,
Yeah, yeah friends.
Always be friends.
We'll be friends together.
Yes we will,

Yes we will,
Oh, oh, oh, oh, oh, oohhhh.

No comments: